SPONSORED BY AVONVALE VETERINARY PRACTICES, SHELDON BOSLEY KNIGHT, LODDERS, PENMANS, R LOCKE & SON, ehB RESIDENTIAL.
The latest chapter in the Ruth Rich Saga. Ruth’s kids have flown the nest and she’s packing
up the house ready to downsize. Sale agreed. All sorted. Till it starts to rain and the doorbell
“Truly captivating play, brilliantly executed.”
“A brilliantly accurate, touching and laugh-out-loud funny play.”
“Genius! Totally absorbed for the whole performance. Still laughing …”
“A quality performance throughout
Watch the trailer…
“Ginny Davis on impressive and endearing form in this one-woman tour de force.”
“Warm, compassionate, witty, sad and a bit of something we could all relate to. Brilliantly executed.”
“Excellent show – the play and performance were really brilliant and absorbing! So well observed.”
Ginny Davis plays nine characters in the play. Picture: David Clarke Photography
BUXTON FRINGE REVIEW
Ginny Davis on impressive and endearing form in one-woman tour de force in Wellesbourne
On the night I saw it another dimension to the play emerged. Most of the audience in Ginny’s home village of Wellesbourne where it was performed
There are few playwrights who take the subject of middle-class life and treat it seriously. Alan Ayckbourn springs to mind. Ginny Davis treats her subject with affection but without pretension, sentimentality or scorn. In or out of its home setting, this is a play that should add to her growing collection of accolades.
NICK LE MESURIER
What there is not enough of is older parents of teen/adults telling it how it is with a dollop of humour and a ton of refreshing cynicism…
An imbalance that this eminently entertaining slice of observational wit and worry nicely redresses.
Written and performed by local actress Ginny Davis this one-woman play, which runs at about an hour, is the latest episode in her ‘Ruth Rich Saga’ series.
In ‘UpDownSizing’ Ruth is preparing to downsize. Everything is fixed and sorted to a T for her sale of the large family home she’s loved for 29 years to the Tetleys. Her elder daughter and funeral director partner are in the same chain. Nothing can go
The delightful thing about watching Ginny perform is that not for one second do you feel any worry or discomfort for her; the nervousness that often descends while watching
The cleverly crafted language of the play helps – at times it’s a simply solo narrative, with poetic lines, while at other points it’s a Noel Cowardesque romp with farcical comings and goings of the characters.
Like many in the audience I related to the story and Ruth’s character – laughter bubbled up as we recognised ourselves in this put-upon mum and wife.
The only criticism I have would be to turn up the internal
9th March Leeds Combined Court Centre, Oxford Row, Leeds LS1 3BG
By kind permission of the Recorder of Leeds, His Honour Judge Guy Kearl QC
Performances at 12 noon, 2.30 pm and 5.00 pm
Tickets available here: https://learnedfriends.eventbrite.co.uk
Sponsored by Brewin Dolphin, Park Square Barristers, Gateley Plc and Weightmans.
£5 from every ticket sold will be donated to Simon on the Streets, registered charity.
21 February Burghfield WI, Berkshire.
22 May Hampton in Arden WI.
Friday 1st February 2019 Ettington Community Centre, Ettington Warwickshire 7pm Details from [email protected] 07913128367
Tuesday 19th February 2019 Arena Theatre, Wulfruna Street, Wolverhampton. 7pm for 7.30 pm start. Wolverhampton https://wlv.ticketsolve.com/shows/873599530
Friday 7th June 2019 Lighthorne Festival of One Act Plays. Lighthorne Village Hall, Warwickshire CV35 0BX 7 pm.
Friday 12th July 2019 Bridge House Theatre, Myton Road, Warwick CV34 6PP 8pm. Tickets £9 (£7.50 for children and registered disabled) OR £20 (£18.50) to include 5 canapés and drink from 01926 776438 or [email protected]
Tuesday 16th July 2019 Blue Orange Theatre, 118 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham B18 6AD (part of Birminghamfest) 7 pm. Tickets http://blueorangetheatre.co.uk
Friday 19th July 2019 1pm and 5.30 pm and Sunday 21st July 1pm Buxton Fringe Festival Underground at The Old Clubhouse, Water Street, Buxton.
4 October 2019 Tanworth in Arden Village Hall, West Midlands, B94 5ED. Doors open 6pm. Supper. Tickets from Leila Chaudry [email protected]
11 October 2019 7.30 pm Tutbury Village Hall, Monk St, Tutbury DE13 9NA Tickets: 01283812248
1 November 2019 7.30 pm Fillongley Village Hall, Coventry Rd, Fillongley, Warwickshire CV7 8EQ Tickets: 01676 542988
21 November 2019 7.30 pm Cosby Community Library, 1 Park Rd, Cosby, Leics, LE9 1RN Tickets: 017871 257 242
29 November 2019 7.30 pm Wysall & Thorpe in the Glebe Village Hall, The Cottage, Main St, Wysall, Notts NG12 5QS Tickets 07764436680 or 07957167264
24 April 2020 Biddulph Moor VH, Hot Lane, Buddulph Moor, Stoke on Trent ST8 7HP Tickets 01782 523573
25 April 2020 Stoke Golding VH, Hall Drive, Stoke Golding, Warwicks, CV13 6EA Tickets 01794 512018
26 April 2020 8.00 pm Alrewas Village Hall, Wellfield Rd, Alrewas, DE13 7AA . Tickets 01283 790799 or Alrewas Pharmacy, The Bank Coffee House.
- 15 January Leek Wootton WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 17 January Smart Talks, Lord Leycester Hospital, Warwick (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 24 January Leamington Spa Wives Fellowship (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 5 February Bromsgrove Probus Club (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 6 February Rushwick WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 7 February Barford WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 11 February Earlswood and Dickens Heath WI (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 11 February Tanworth in Arden WI (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 14 February Contact The Elderly - Hinckley (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 2 April Ashton under Hill WI (To the Fringe and Beyond)
- 3 April Bishops Itchington WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 4 April Wythall WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 9 April Bishops Tachbrook (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 11 April Evesham Probus Club (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 15 April Monkspath WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 18 April St Catherine's Blackwell WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 13 May Aston Cantlow WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 16 May Warmington Heritage Group (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 13 June Clent WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 19 June Warwick Probus No 1 (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 20 June Broadway Probus (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 26 June Wolverhampton Women's Luncheon Club (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 8 July Tewkesbury and District U3A (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 9 July Kenilworth Probus 2 (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 17 September Lapworth Local History Group (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 18 September Cropredy Historical Group (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 25 September Avon Group WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 1 October Beoley VH (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 16 October Great Hampden Group (To The Fringe)
- 31 October Stratford Ladies Lunch Club (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 14 November Willoughby WI (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 14 November Stratford upon Avon Probus Club (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 15 November Bidford History Group (From the Pillory to the Prison Cell)
- 28 November Lickey Wine and Social Club (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 4 December Pebworth and District WI (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 9 December Satcote WI, Leics. (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 12 December Bidford WI (To The Fringe and Beyond)
- 17 December Codsall "M" Townswomen (To The Fringe and Beyond)
Bourton on the Water Probus Club, Brinklow WI, Loxley WI Wellesbourne Ladies Group, Bosworth Field Group WI Rotary Club of Arbury (at Weston Hall Hotel, Bulkington) Hillmorton Paddox WI, Wootton Wawen WI Group Meeting, Warwick WI, Clifton on Dunsmore WI, Horeston Grange WI, Ettington Monday Club,Brockhampton Quilters, Kenilworth Catholic Ladies, Dene Valley U3A, Priors Marston WI, Stratford Townswomen, Charn Group WI, Wheatley WI, Ashorne WI, Old Marston W, Deerings Daytime WI, Hornton WI, Dunchurch and Thurlestone WI, Over Norton WI, Rugby Floral Society, Tetsworth Village Hall, King Alfred's WI, Wantage, Priors Marston and Hardwick WI.